Trading Coffee with Blockchain
Students become coffee growers and traders with this interactive game that teaches participants about blockchain networks.
1 – 2 Hours
Estimated Cost of Materials
15 – 19
English, German, Turkish
In this engaging Activity Kit, volunteers will help students learn about blockchain through an interactive coffee trading game. This game simulates a blockchain and allows students to run a virtual coffee harvesting or brewing business and trade their coffee products a using a browser on any platform. Through this fun and competitive game, students will gain a basic understanding of what blockchain is, how it works, and how blockchain will change the way we exchange goods and services.
- Students must have computers with internet access - one computer between 2-3 students works well. Mobile devices with a browser also work well to allow users to compete in the simulation and track the activity
- The classroom must have powerpoint presentation capabilities
- Understand the value of blockchain and key concepts
- Learn more about blockchain with this Blockchain Basics tutorial
- Download the free IBM book "Blockchain for Dummies"
- Watch a 3 minute video as an introduction to blockchain (see link below)
- Watch a demonstration of how the Trading Coffee with Blockchain Activity Kit works.
- Set up your Coffee Trading network by opening the Trading Console in your web browser on your presentation machine. Scroll to the bottom of the panel and select “Create a New Network” for your event in the Trading Console.
- If you have previously logged into the Coffee Trading Console, log out before creating a new network. Enter a “Business Network Name" and create a password. Choose a network name and password that’s easy to remember, as your student audience will select it from a list. This is the network your students will use during your activity.
- Study the presentation slides in this Activity Kit and practice your talking points.
- Get comfortable working in the Coffee Trading Console and ensure that your account is ready for your presentation. Walk through the steps your students will take during the activity and be sure you are able to point out the different roles and activities.
- If you have created a network in advance of your presentation to do a run through, do not try to reuse that network or any existing network. You must create a new network each time you use the Trading Console.
- Give your presentation and launch the Coffee Trading activity described above. As you introduce the Coffee Trading activity, divide the students into two teams (coffee growers and coffee buyers) to ensure you have at least 2 people on either side of a smart contract (some as growers and some as buyers). Access the Trading Console below:
- Let the students start growing, harvesting and trading trading coffee. Discuss how the blockchain network works in this game and try narrating some of their transactions. Help answer their questions and have fun!
Read this book to learn about what blockchain is, how it works, and how you can get started building a blockchain network today.
Learn more about how the IBM Blockchain is helping farmers and roasters harvest, source and brew a fresher, fairer cup of coffee.