Reduce Your Plastic Footprint!
IBM has partnered with Plastic Bank to help the world stop ocean plastic and improve the lives of the people who help collect it. This Activity Kit provides turnkey resources to help you teach your family, friends or community group about plastic pollution, remotely or in person.
This Activity Kit enables you to teach others about their plastic footprint and how blockchain technology and Design Thinking principles can help solve environmental and social issues. The Activity Kit includes a Plastic Footprint Calculator developed by Plastic Bank that estimates a person’s plastic consumption and recommends actions they can take to reduce their plastic consumption and pollution.
This Activity Kit can be used in two ways:
- Personal Activity: Share the Plastic Footprint Calculator with colleagues, friends and family. Access the calculator here.
- Community Activity: Give a presentation about ocean plastic, IBM Blockchain, and introduce the Plastic Footprint Calculator to students or another community group. This presentation includes a Design Thinking activity to reinforce learning and can be run remotely, too!
This activity kit will require the following resources:
- Personal Activity: Internet access and a web browser
- In-person Community Activity: Access to projector and materials to facilitate a Design Thinking session
- Remote Community Activity: Access to conferencing platform like WebEx: https://www.webex.com
Read about the ocean plastic crisis
Learn more about Plastic Bank
Learn more about the Plastic Bank and IBM collaboration
Watch Plastic Bank’s CEO David Katz speak at a TEDTalk
Review IBM's Design Thinking toolkit
Learn about key Blockchain concepts
- Use Plastic Bank's Plastic Footprint Calculator with your friends, family and colleagues and share your new knowledge of the importance of their part in reducing ocean plastic. Compare your annual consumption with others and commit to lowering your plastic footprint this year! Have users note their footprint and remind your friends, family and colleagues to revisit the plastic calculator at any time to track their progress!
- Review the PowerPoint and practice your presentation, ensuring you understand the core principles of Blockchain and Design Thinking
- Gather the materials needed to facilitate the Design Thinking activity
- When sharing the Plastic Footprint Calculator ensure you are comfortable explaining how it works and what users can do with the results. Remind users that they can revisit the calculator at any time to track the progress they are making in reducing their footprint.
- Review the learning resources and ensure you are comfortable presenting about the core concepts of Plastic Bank, IBM Blockchain, ocean plastic pollution and Design Thinking.
- Organize a short meeting or gather your friends and family to share the Plastic Footprint Calculator and what you’ve learned!
- Gather materials, set up your PowerPoint and have fun! Be sure to reference the speaker notes in the PowerPoint presentation if you get stuck. If you are an IBMer, be sure to log your volunteer hours on IBM.org.