Internet of Me - Protecting Your Online Identity
Help students learn how to protect their personal data and identity online through an interactive lesson and a hands-on password game with this CyberDay4Girls Activity Kit.
1 – 2 Hours
Estimated Cost of Materials
Do you ever think about how the digital life you lead can affect your real life? This Activity Kit is designed to bring awareness to the dangers children face every day in the digital world and what they can do to better protect themselves. The Activity Kit consists of three main sections built to:
1. help students become aware of cyber crime
2. educate them about personal data and digital footprints
3. teach them how to create strong passwords while using secure mobile devices
This activity kit will require the following resources:
- Classroom must have PowerPoint presentation capabilities
- Internet access is required for some activities
- Mobile device or computer is needed for an optional activity in the session
Watch the IBM Think Academy videos below to know more about cybersecurity and common security breaches.
To familiarize yourself with the topic, read the 10 Tips for Good Online Hygiene. Share them with the class after the activity.
Take a step back and think, are you being safe online? Are you revealing more personal information than you should, and in doing so opening yourself up to cyber threats such as phishing?
- Taking a look at how you share your personal information can help you understand how to approach this Activity Kit.
Start by reading the Activity Kit guide. It contains important information about the nature and goals of this Kit.
Read over the PowerPoint, including all the speaker notes. Think of possible questions that may arise in class to be better prepared to answer them.
Ensure that the place you are presenting has PowerPoint presentation capabilities and access to internet.
Rehearse presenting the PowerPoint, preferably with an audience, to get you in the flow of presenting.
Make sure to practice going over every exercise to ensure a smooth transition between each activity.
In order to get started, set up your computer to display the PowerPoint. Throughout the presentation, be sure to reference the speaker notes for guidance.
Throughout the session, the slide Cyber Feud will come up. This game will require you to divide students into teams where they will have a chance to earn points by answering questions. At the end of the activity, the team with the most points will win a prize!
Protecting Your Online Identity : Slides 1 – 13
- Theses slides require you to carefully go over the terms presented to help your students gain a better understanding of the dangers that exist in the digital world.
Personal Data and Your Digital Footprint : 14 – 21
- There is an optional exercise on slide 17 that requires the students to have access to internet and a mobile device/computer. The goal of this exercise is to have the students look up a name of a celebrity or someone in the room to piece together as much as they can about the person's life.