Resources for Parents
As a parent, you know that children are driven to explore and try new things, but you also want them to be safe. Educate yourself on some additional quick tips below so you can be a strong cybersecurity role model for your kids.
Best practices for taking control of your data:
Be mindful of what you're putting out there
- What have you consented to sharing?
- How will it be used?
- Is the network of the provider secure?
- What responsibility does the provider/app/company take for securing your data?
- Are you able to request your data that is being held?
- Are you able to delete your data?
Understand what data is being collected about you and how it will be used
- Opt out of unnecessary tracking
- Read terms and conditions before using a new app
Keep your device secure
- Keep it up to date
- Keep apps up to date
- Keep your bluetooth and wifi off whenever possible
- Avoid public wifi networks
- Use a password manager
- Auto-generate safe passwords
- Don't use the same password for any two accounts
Ask how your data will be used
- By mobile apps
- By retailers
- By your doctor
- By insurance companies
- When banking
- When at work
Protecting Kids Online:
The opportunities kids have to socialize online come with benefits and risks. Adults can help reduce the risks by talking to kids about making safe and responsible decisions.More info
Continue learning about this activity kit by exploring the following educational resources
Explore this cybersecurity site to learn more about how to keep yourself and the people you care about safe online.